Getting started with a complete replacement of Doomsday's renderer: camera positioning, dynamic plane movement, HDR bloom and tone mapping.
First ever screenshot of the new renderer running in #DoomsdayEngine. Nothing is quite right here yet...
There is still a long journey ahead. The new library has map geometry loaded, with some textures, and is drawing frames. However:
- coordinate system is messed up (map is tiny!)
- skybox uses a placeholder texture
- no entities in the map
- no light sources (needs entities)
- no dynamic updates of entity/plane positions
- some menu/HUD gfx still depend on old renderer
Usually it's quite vexing when your graphics code produces nothing but a black screen, but not this time! I've successfully gutted #DoomsdayEngine so it can run without the old renderer, using nothing but the server's map data.
"A lighthouse in the storm" — wherein the vision for Doomsday 3 is laid out.
Doomsday 2.2.1 has been released.
Fixes: Missing Hexen player colors, package info on macOS, FluidSynth volume, custom profile settings, 3D weapon clipping.
Recent #DoomsdayEngine developments:
- Preparing the 2.2.1 patch release.
- Continuing render hack support for 2.3. It's pretty precarious; changing anything can break previously working hacks, but overall it's improving. The major categories are missing textures and self-referencing lines.
- Deep cleaning/refactoring for 3.0. The central map data structures have some awkward ifdefs, need to split clientside/visuals from the serverside code.
Doomsday is now available on Flathub. 📣 #linux
Doomsday 2.2 has been released. It is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux: https://dengine.net/download
This marks another 20-year milestone. "Doomsday Engine" was first announced on December 18th, 1999.
Kicking off #DoomsdayEngine 2.3 work with better DOOM render hack support. The following in unstable build 3268:
- TNT map02/31: deep water
- TNT map02: masked openable window
- TNT map09: transparent openable window
- Icarus Alien Vanguard map01: force fields with masked texture
Some of these used to work before, but have been broken in recent versions.
Overall, it's pretty impressive what the DOOM software renderer can be twisted to do.
2.2 RC2 is now available.
New fixes in the game library, and music in Hexen and Plutonia 2.
The idea is to have this be updated by the Autobuilder for every unstable build, but initially I'll do it manually.
Stable builds are still heading to Flathub for distribution, once 2.2 is done.
2.2 RC1 is available.
New features include scripting and Heretic modding improvements, a fixed FOV for weapon models, and better support for John Romero's SIGIL.
New demo video for the upcoming 2.2: https://youtu.be/p3UgWUcTxN0
While writing the new Doomsday Script tutorial, I found and fixed a total of 10 bugs.
Time to put together a proper test suite, perhaps?
Doomsday Script documentation has been updated for the upcoming version 2.2.
- New tutorial: https://manual.dengine.net/script/reference#tutorial
- Complete list of current uses of scripting in Doomsday